Generally, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Depending on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, whether or not you have pets, and how regularly your air filter has been swapped out, to name some—you may need to have air duct cleaning
more or less often. So, how can you know for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are certainly some significant signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns coated with dust or pet hair?
- Is there a blockage inside your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers wafting out dust?
- When you check inside with a flashlight, can you see a buildup of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents made a home in your ductwork?
- Can you hear noise other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have not as much airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s more than likely time to ask Southern Heating & Cooling Inc. in Scottsboro about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are a couple things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and lengthen the amount of time between professional cleanings.
Mostly importantly, schedule annual HVAC maintenance with the professionals at Southern Heating & Cooling Inc.. A tune-up of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should comprise of inspection, and potential replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system operating effectively, and will help keep your ducts clean.
You can also talk to the team at Southern Heating & Cooling Inc. about installing an air purification system. We offer the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other measures you can take include:
- Consistently dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Examining your air filters habitually and changing them when the manufacturer recommends changing them. Most filters will show dust on them after a short period in service, but they may not require changing.
- Sealing leaks in air ducts that permit dust to come in from areas like your attic.
- Replacing poor or impaired air-duct insulation.
With an expert air duct cleaning and some proactive measures, you can help keep the air in your Scottsboro home clean and healthy. Give the experts at Southern Heating & Cooling Inc. a call at 256-574-1300.