You’re in the middle of the most frigid week of winter and you wake up shivering in a pile of blankets in bed. The first thought to go through your head is, “Why in the world has my furnace not kicked on?” Of course, you don’t want to leave yourself in a predicament like this where it feels like you’re destined to suffer until morning to schedule furnace repair, but there are a few things you can take a look at, as well as a couple things you can do, to stay ready and prep for a situation like this.
Before You Experience Problems:
- Furnace service. Cold nights and furnace repair can’t always be avoided, but having annual furnace service completed can help you have a better chance at averting a chilly morning.
- Pull together supplies. Set aside some room in a closet, drawer or another easily accessible area for blankets, a space heater, gloves, hats and any number of other accessories to keep you warm while your furnace isn’t running. It could seem bothersome or unnecessary now, but it will be a relief when you need it most.
After You Suspect Your Furnace Quit Running:
- Check the circuit breaker. There’s a chance that the breaker to your furnace could have been tripped by a power surge or for a different reason. If this is the case, switch the breaker back on and you might be set. If the breaker is tripped and you have flipped it back on but your furnace still isn’t running, give us a call to arrange an appointment for furnace repair.
- Layer on and get cozy. That handful of supplies we recommended above will come in handy here. Layers can help you retain body heat so you can stay cozy while waiting for your expert. Also, try to find something active to do to keep your blood pumping, as elevated activity can help keep you comfortable.
- Stay safe. Using something other than your furnace to heat your home can pose potential danger depending on the method you’re choosing. It’s important to remember to never use heating methods developed for outdoor use – i.e. kerosene heaters, grills, or any other carbon monoxide producing methods. If you need to use another method, electric space heaters, fireplaces or wood stoves are your best bets.
No one wants to deal with furnace repair in the middle of winter after their furnace has stopped working, but the opportunity is real if you don’t take the proper steps. Give the team at Southern Heating & Cooling Inc. a call at 256-574-1300 if you have any questions about these tips, the furnace repair services available or any other number of heating questions.